Director of Strategic CommunicationsFull Time Senior Management
Application Deadline is July 7, 2019 at 9:00 PM PST
Pay Range is $90,000 to $120,000 DOE
Who We Are:
Oregon Food Bank Opens a New Window. (OFB)believes that no one should be hungry. Our mission is to eliminate hunger and its root causes. We provide food, education and hope to our neighbors experiencing hunger, and we build community action to change the systems that allow hunger to grow.
Who You Are:
You care deeply about people experiencing hunger and hold them in the center of all that you do. You are a senior leader who will develop and coordinate the implementation of a sophisticated and exciting multi-channel communications strategy that will engage hundreds of thousands of Oregonians in ending hunger. You are known for your ability to think strategically and holistically yet also able to drive tactics and projects to fruition.
You have proven ability to co-create effective messaging, can drive a proactive media strategy, and understand the power of digital organizing to engage constituencies in action. You are also opportunistic and recognize key moments when OFB can add to the narrative. Though your experience, you can leverage the panoply of communications strategies toward a powerful narrative change. You are committed to using equity as a process and an outcome of your work.
You have confidence in your skills and knowledge and the humility to reflect, listen to understand, and be changed. You have an empathetic nature and are able to understand the situations, needs and motivations of the individuals, groups and organizations we work with. You are courageous enough to take risks, shoulder responsibility, fail occasionally, and continually learn.
Most of all, you wake up in the morning eager to use your strategic communication skills to build a movement to end hunger.
The Director of Strategic Communications is the thought leader for strategic communications at OFB and a member of the Leadership Team which guides OFB’s overall strategy. This position leads the communications team to develop, implement and continuously refine a comprehensive communications strategy that advances mission, development, program and advocacy goals.
Strategy and Message Development
· Work collaboratively across the organization to determine how strategic communications can support and impact the strategic goals of OFB.
· Define needs, develop strategies and guide all elements of strategic communications including messaging and positioning, media, digital strategy and design.
· Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to increase public knowledge of and engagement with OFB and the issue of hunger; understand impact, efficiency and growth of OFB’s reach; support OFB activities, programs, events and other services.
· Identify and pursue opportunities for thought leadership in food banking and equity.
Media and Public Relations
· Develop and implement a proactive earned media strategy in coordination with—and support of—fundraising, volunteer and advocacy goals and events.
· Provide guidance and framework for OFB’s response to timely communications issues, and activate team to respond with appropriate tone, tactics, and timing.
· Represent OFB in face-to-face meetings with vendors, media, and public partners.
· Prepare content and train spokespeople to represent the organization in interviews with the media and at public engagements.
· Shape and manage messaging for the organization and create talking points for media interviews.
Branding and Marketing Oversight
· Ensure campaigns are developed to benefit both the organization and the OFB Network of regional food banks.
· Serve as the lead manager for the marketing and communications team, including staff dedicated to marketing, graphic design, digital strategy/implementation and copy writing.
· Coordinate with marketing and communications team members to develop and implement policies and training for OFB staff around media engagement and brand standards.
· Identify needs for—and then source and oversee—external vendors and contractors to support core communications and marketing activities and deliverables.
Fundraising and Engagement Support
· Work collaboratively with public-facing departments to ensure that marketing and communications activities align with and support development, advocacy and organizing.
· Coordinate closely with directors of development and advocacy to develop aligned plans, calendars, and deliverables, including
Leadership and Team Management
· Participate fully in OFB’s Leadership Team in collaborative decision-making for OFB’s strategy. Attend and participate in OFB’s Board of Director meetings and appropriate committee meetings.
· Prepare annual department budget and manage expenses.
· Ensure development of high-quality collateral and communications that aligns with the OFB brand.
Skills and Experience of the Ideal Candidate:
· Minimum 5 years demonstrated senior experience in strategic communications.
· Minimum three years of supervisory and leadership experience. Proven track record of coaching and mentoring a high functioning team.
· Demonstrated experience in research-driven race and gender justice framing and messaging, and commitment to collaborating with other OFB leadership team members to ensure that race and gender justice are central to OFB’s communications program and approach.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively use communication strategy and tools to support a strong fundraising effort.
· Demonstrated ability to create, articulate and implement strategy.
· Outstanding communication skills. Communicates diplomatically yet effectively with all levels in the organization.
· Working knowledge of best, promising, and emerging practices and innovations in strategic communications, marketing and digital strategy regionally and nationally.
· Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive information effectively and confidentially.
· An appreciation of, and enthusiasm for, community and client input.
· Demonstrated sense of humor and an appetite for lifelong learning.
· Proficiency utilizing GSuite.
· Prior food banking experience.
· Prior experience leading digital engagement and/or grassroots fundraising programs.
· Proficiency utilizing EveryAction(or comparable CRM and mass email software).
· Proficiency in a language other than English, bi-lingual and multi-cultural skills.
· Personal lived-experience of systemic hunger and/or its root causes (racism, sexism, heterosexism, cis-sexism, ableism, ageism, size-ism, ethnocentrism, and classicism)