Join us to work at the intersection of environment,
health and social justice.
About Metropolitan Group
Metropolitan Group is a full-service, strategic and creative agency that builds the power of voice and resources of the people, organizations and communities that drive social change.
For 30 years, we’ve worked exclusively on behalf of social purpose, mission-driven organizations—some of the world’s leading nonprofits, foundations, public agencies and socially responsible businesses. We are a certified B Corp, and have been recognized by the independent non-profit B Lab as being one to the top 10% of companies worldwide for social impact. Metropolitan Group has offices in Chicago; Portland, Oregon; San Francisco and Washington, D.C.; and a sister company, Impacto Social Metropolitan Group, in Mexico City, Mexico.
We do two things: we directly impact social change and we build the capacity of organizations that drive social change. We work across social justice areas with an emphasis on environmental sustainability, public health, social justice and creative expression. About half of our work is designing and implementing campaigns and initiatives that change attitudes, behaviors, practices and policies. We are pioneers of public will building—creating shifts in normative community expectations to drive lasting change. The other half is helping organizations develop effective strategic plans and powerful brands, and build cultures that better help them drive social change.
We offer a range of services within integrated practices:
• Strategic Communication: Public will building, social marketing campaigns and impact branding
• Multicultural Engagement: Creating culturally relevant strategies and tools
• Organizational Development: Strategic planning, capacity building, training and building positive workplace cultures
The Senior Associate working out of our Portland, OR office will work in collaboration with members of the MG team across the company on a variety of client accounts in the areas of environment and sustainability, public health, and social justice. Ideal candidates are comfortable in a fast-paced, billable environment. They are detail-oriented, have strong writing and research skills, and thrive when working on and balancing multiple projects at one time.
• Support teams working on the design, implementation and evaluation of the full range of strategic communication, organizational development, and multicultural engagement strategies for nonprofit, corporate, foundation and government clients.
• Contribute to client projects through writing, research, media relations and social media, as well as other areas of experience you bring.
• Write a wide range of communication materials, including content (web and social), news releases, briefing papers, memos, plans, etc.
• Conduct research, including online scans of website, social media and media coverage; quantitative research through polls, surveys, etc.; and qualitative research through interviews, focus groups, listening sessions, etc.
• Analyze data and information to synthesize findings and develop recommendations,and draft research reports.
• Support project management on selected accounts, including managing budgets, workplans, client updates, and team coordination and communication.
• Serve as a member of the MG team, providing ideas and input on strategic and creative challenges, assisting with project implementation, supporting internal projects and fulfilling other duties necessary for the success of the organization.
• Must be authorized to accept employment in the US.
• Bachelor’s Degree in an area relevant to our work (public relations, marketing, digital, public health, environmental sciences, etc.)
• Minimum of 4 years of experience in communication agency or internal communication position
• Excellent writing and communication skills and successful completion of writing assignment at the time of interview
• Experience with digital strategy and demonstrated knowledge of digital strategy trends
• Demonstrated public relations or strategic communication experience
• Available to travel, as needed (less than 20% of time)
• Bi-lingual or fluency in other language(s) (preferred)
• Demonstrated interest in social justice
• Experience working with diverse communities (preferred)
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
• Provide high quality, professional consulting services and expertise to clients
• Have an upbeat, creative and professional demeanor.
• Be a team player and excel at team-oriented problem solving.
• Demonstrate an excellent work ethic.
• Work effectively in a multicultural environment.
• Support and embody the organization’s values, goals and operating principles.
• Employer-sponsored medical/vision insurance on first of the month following employment
• Dental insurance paid at 50 percent by employer on first of the month following employment
• Life and long-term disability insurance plans available on the first of the month following employment
• Monthly transportation and cell phone allowances
• Charitable contribution match of up to $100 per year
• Incentive and bonus plan
• Professional development program, including budget for memberships and learning opportunities.
• Paid holidays including: New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas
• Ten paid vacation days per year after first 90 days of employment, plus one additional day accrued for each year of employment (up to a total of 15 days additional vacation days); one spiritual holiday of your choice
• Five days sick leave available per year, accruable up to 20 days.
• One month (30 days) paid sabbatical eligibility after each seven years of continuous employment
• MG to reimburse for work related expenses (mileage at IRS rate).
• 401k-retirement plan: You are eligible to participate in this program on the first calendar quarter after six-months of fulltime employment. As a participant, you may make tax-deferred contributions up to the maximum allowable amount into the plan. MG will make an annual contribution equal to three percent of your compensation while you are a participant in the plan.
Professional hours of 40 hours per week working from our downtown Portland, OR office as well as any additional time necessary depending on client deadlines and internal projects.
Negotiable depending on experience, and commensurate with company compensation structure.
After 90-day trial period: annual formal review, periodic/informal reviews and “check ins” as needed or requested by either party.
Professional office attire.
Send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples (examples include but are not limited to: press release, social media post(s), case study, article, website content, etc.) to [email protected]. Search will remain open until position is filled.
Metropolitan Group is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Description: MG-Senior-Associate-Portland.