We believe that communication is more than writing and speaking. We believe in building an engaged community benefits all of us and is best served through open, honest, frequent and meaningful dialogue. The City of Salem is seeking a talented individual who thrives in a fast-paced and exciting environment to fill our Public Information Officer (PIO) position. In Salem, our PIO works in a highly collaborative team, serving as spokesperson for the City, with responsibility on a daily basis for developing, coordinating, and evaluating content, community engagement and educational programs to share the City’s story with a broad range of audiences using diverse platforms. The team uses a comprehensive suite of communications tools, including public relations, branding, media relations, digital media, and other engagement activities. The team provides support and advice to the City Manager’s Office, Mayor and City Council, and departments, divisions, and workgroups across the City, to foster citizen participation and interest in City government.
To be successful in this position, candidates should demonstrate progressive experience in media relations, community and customer engagement, marketing and digital marketing, communications, public relations, or media relations, including:
- Conducting on-camera interviews and maintaining effective working relationships with the media;
- Creating multimedia content for integration across multiple platforms, including managing and measuring performance of messages and campaigns to encourage public engagement, including working knowledge of new media, social media and web based methods of communication and engagement;
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills to communicate effectively as appropriate for the needs of the audience skills, including listening and public speaking skills;
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all levels of management, elected officials, and community to best represent the organization effectively in public settings and with the media; and
- Crisis and risk management communication techniques and best practices.
The position will require organized responses to the media or other entities at times outside of the normal 8 to 5 workday, including weekends and holidays. Public sector or local government experience setting strongly preferred.
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Must pass the pre-employment background check
- Must have an Oregon Driver license and meet the City of Salem’s driving standards
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in journalism, public administration, non-profit management, public relations, digital media, communications, or a related field and five (5) years’ progressive experience in a related field; or any combination of experience and training that demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skill and abilities as listed, and ability to perform the examples of work.
- Experience in public sector or local government setting strongly preferred.
Job description document: City-of-Salem-Public-