Make the most of your membership: Join in
I have enjoyed 10 years as a PRSA member in Oregon. I have learned a lot from the society and its members, but the absolute #1 lesson I have learned is to simply join in.
I guarantee that I would not be the communicator I am today if I only used my membership for the occasional webinar or conference. By joining in, I have forged amazing relationships and fostered many professional skills that I would not have gotten from just sitting and listening.
We are members because we want to grow as professionals and connect with other communicators. To accomplish that, I invite you to make your professional development a top priority in 2020 by simply joining a committee.
We have opportunities in:
- Professional Development – Help organize monthly events and/or serve on our Communicators Conference planning team
- Advancement – Join the DEI committee or help us secure sponsorships
- Membership – Serve as a buddy for new members or run our mentoring program
- Communications – Web design, social media, and newsletter opportunities
- Regional – Help us better reach everyone in the state by serving as lead in your community
We are working hard to make sure every communicator, regardless of location, has access to high quality professional development opportunities. I encourage you to check our newsletter, website, and social channels regularly for learning opportunities, but more importantly, I encourage you to join in.
Take it from my decade of experience. The best decision I ever made for my professional development was to simply join in.
Brad Hilliard, APR
PRSA Oregon Chapter President