The Office of University Communication’s mission is to help the University grow and prosper by increasing public awareness and preference for PSU, its role in the community and its brand of higher education. Specifically, University Communications plans and executes an integrated marketing communications program, and collaborates with campus constituents in planning and executing effective marketing, communications and public affairs strategies.
The senior communications specialist is responsible for planning and executing internal and external communications to build awareness of and preference for PSU. This position works closely with the communications and marketing teams across campus to identify, research, write, edit and share stories about students and faculty with local and national media and the campus community.
The position reports to the Director of Media and Public Relations in the Office of University Communications with additional input or supervision from the Associate Vice President of Marketing and Communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or a related discipline.
- Five years experience including, but not limited to, the fields of journalism, media relations, public relations, communications or marketing
- Demonstrable portfolio of successful writing and media relations projects
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Proven record as a strategic thinker, problem solver and articulate communicator
- History of working on deadline-sensitive projects
- Competency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite software programs and social media platforms, including Reddit.
- Proven record of professional effectiveness in communications and/or public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field.
Experience in higher education
Key Cultural Competencies
- Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages and celebrates differences.
- Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds.
- Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement
- Adheres to all PSU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
Total Compensation Range & Benefits Statement
The starting annual salary rate for this position is dependent upon qualifications and experience. PSU offers an excellent benefits package including 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon public universities.
How to apply
Submit cover letter and resume with three published or online writing samples that reflect the priorities of the position and demonstrate a range of skills. Apply online at https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/23294