Connections. Value. Development.
As a PRSA member, you’ll have access to:
- More than 21,000 colleagues through our members-only directories and discussion forums.
- More than 50 FREE webinars, live and on demand, throughout the year.
- Exclusive discounts on PRSA conferences and events.
- Industry publications (print and digital).
- Award-winning case studies.
- The Business Case for Public Relations™ and the PRSA Code of Ethics, which offer values, principles and practice guidelines that define professionalism and success.
National membership dues are $255 annually plus a $65 initiation fee. Local dues vary by chapter; as of 6/1/2015, PRSA-Portland Metro Chapter local dues are $45/year.
Special pricing is available for associate members and graduate students. If you have less than two years of experience in public relations and join as an associate member, you receive a free one-year membership in the New Professionals Section. (Please note: This offer may not be combined with other offers. Certain restrictions apply. Offer not valid for current associate and renewing members.)
Group Membership Program
For employers, The PRSA Group Membership program offers ease of access and additional member benefits that help you focus on what matters most — building business and energizing your team. In addition to team benefits, our program provides employers with:
- Single Invoicing. Make a single payment each year for group members’ dues, rather than numerous individual payments.
- Transferability of Membership. Each membership within a group is easily transferable. This is convenient when an employee changes departments or leaves your organization.
- Ease of Adding New Members. PRSA will prorate the dues to maintain the same term year and renewal date.
- Employer Posting Opportunities. Receive discounted or free postings on PRSA’s career and employment website, the PRSA Jobcenter.
- Listings in Online Organization Search. Take advantage of complimentary listings in our Find-A-Firm Directory.
- The Best Pricing on PRSA National Events. Save on registration for on-site training at the annual PRSA International Conference, as well as various specialty conferences and seminars throughout the year.
- Geographic and Sector-Specific Networking. Membership to specialty communities, such as our local Chapters (like PRSA Portland) or Professional Interest Sections, is provided according to group size.
For more information, please contact Pamela R. Weess, CAE, Director, Group Membership and Engagement, at (212) 460-1482 or email@example.com.
How Do I… (FAQ)
• Chapter Started: 1960
• 2014 Chapter President: Barbara Kerr, APR
• Region: Portland-Metro and SW Washington (including Vancouver, Gresham, Hillsboro, Beaverton)
• Number of Members: 230
• Number of Events in a year: 8-10
• Key Events: Communicators Conference (Spring), Spotlight Awards (Fall)
The Chapter’s mission is “to advance the art and science of public relations in the public interest” by supporting our members and communities. PRSA Portland Metro Chapter was formed in 1960 and today is one of the most active PRSA chapters in the nation serving more than 230 public relations professionals in the Portland-metro area, including Southwest Washington. Of those, more than one fifth are Accredited in Public Relations (APR).
What is PRSA?
The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) is the world’s largest and foremost organization of public relations professionals with a community of more than 21,000 members across the United States.
Who are we?
From recent college graduates to the leaders of the world’s largest multinational firms, PRSA members represent nearly every practice area and professional and academic setting within the public relations field. In addition to the 21,000 members across the U.S., there are more than 10,000 students who are members of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) at colleges and universities here and abroad.
The PRSA Portland Metro Chapter includes members from a number of marketing and communications agencies and independent consultants, as well as those representing Fortune 500 companies, start-ups, non-profits and everything in-between.
What do we do
PRSA provides professional development, sets standards of excellence and upholds principles of ethics for its members and, more broadly, the multi-billion dollar global public relations profession. We also advocate for greater understanding and adoption of public relations services, and act as one of the industry’s leading voices on the important business and professional issues of our time.
Every year, the chapter hosts a number of networking events, as well as those that allow for professional development, including “Meet the Media.” Our membership also has a couple sub-groups: New Pros, designed for professionals just starting in public relations, and Masterminds, those who have been in the industry for more than 15 years. Both groups have their own events that allow for networking and learning opportunities.
How do I get involved?
If you want to volunteer to help support the PRSA chapter mission, please contact our volunteercoordinator, Natalie Middleton, firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I find out more about you online?
• We’re online at prsapdx.org
• Newsletters: email email@example.com
To get the maximum value from my membership, how do I…
update my contact information?
Go to our national website: www.prsa.org/myprsa. Once you’re logged in, click on “My Profile” in the right-hand column. On your profile page, click on the appropriate “edit” buttons to update your information. After you’ve made your changes, just click on “submit.” That’s all there is to it. Your updated information will be automatically shared with our chapter.
find our member directory?
Once again, go to our national website: www.prsa.org/myprsa. Once you’re logged in, click on “My Networking Tools” in the right-hand column. You’ll see a number of search options. To search for Portland Metro Chapter members, click on the drop-down arrow under “Chapter.” Scroll down. Click on “Portland Metro Chapter” then click on “go.” Our member directory will appear. You can also use this tool to search for members in other chapters.
find out about PRSA webinars?
Go to the national website and visit their Online Training section.
learn more about my member benefits?
Visit the Member Benefits section on our national website.
connect with my local peers and colleagues?
PRSA Portland Metro offers several events every month, from educational seminars to networking activities. These are great opportunities to meet, mix and mingle with local colleagues. Check out our calendar for upcoming dates and registration info.
Have another question for our “How do I” guide?
We welcome your suggestions. Fill out the contact information form on the right.